Christi



Visa & Discover

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Friday, October 14, 2011

IST, Fish, Rabbits

I finished 2 weeks of In Service Training (IST) in Dedza at the end of September. It's been a productive and fun couple weeks back at site.

Before leaving for IST I conducted some follow ups with fish farmers and got them started on the next task and now they are almost ready to stock their ponds! The potential for fish farming is high so I hope people stay motivated. I enjoy working with the farmers abstracting other volunteers about the benefits and potential of fish farming.

I was also on a mission to get a rabbit hutch before IST but it didn't quite work out but it was ready when I came back! The rabbits seem to be enjoying their new home and their new cat friend. Peppers moved into the hutch soon after the rabbits and they all get along.

This week was the first meeting of the Edzi Toto Club (HIV awareness group) at the secondary school. We had about 100 students for the first meeting. At our next meeting, we'll elect officers and start planning the World Aids Day event on December 1.

I also had the chance to visit some volunteers in Kasungu district and teach about HIV to a group of secondary school students. I got to spend a little time at Kamuzu Academy, a posh secondary school that is like nothing I've experienced in Africa. It felt like I was on holiday.

November is fast approaching and promises to be very busy. I'm most excited about attending a training on medicinal gardens. I've heard it's a good training and I think my area can benefit from medicinal plants.

I'm starting to think about what I want to do for the holidays. I'd like to go many places but the budget is tight and I'll probably stay close to home...Zambia or the lake??? Speaking of Zambia...I'll be there in a couple weeks for a quick visit!

It seems rainy season has come early to Mchinji district. It's my least favorite time of year and lasts far too long. Maybe if the rains start early, they'll end early? I hope.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah C. said...

The medicinal gardens sound interesting. I'm always ready to hear more about how are plants can work for us.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Jo Brooks said...

Very interesting blog. You are sure doing a variety of things-I'm sure you like that. Grandma Brooks

5:53 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Thanks for the update, and I hope the rains end early!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home