Christi



Visa & Discover

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Three Months Down

I've been in my home in Msuzi village for over three months and it feels very much like home. I think I'm done making home improvements for a while. I now have furniture with cushions, a guest bed, and painted walls. Eventually I will cement my walkways and add a step off the front stoop.

I now feel I know my way around the area and boma (Mchinji) pretty well. I know where to find the foods I like and the basic necessitates I need (vegetables, chocolate, eggs/protein, candles) and a few things I can probably live without (Coke, biscuits, mabunsies, chips).

I'm making contacts in the community that will help with work related goals and social contacts. Overall it's been a successful three months of community integration. In September I will attend In Service Training for two weeks. Week one will be with my fellow health volunteers and our counterparts will join us for the second week. We will learn technical skills that we did not have time for in pre-service training and create a two year plan with our counterparts.

As you may be aware, Malawi is going through a period of instability. Its nothing new but has gained momentum and turned violent recently. More can be found online if you are interested. I bring this up because it has highlighted the importance of Peace Corps Volunteers and other on-the-ground-workers like us. We don't give large amounts of money (unsustainable) but teach practical information (sustainable) that Malawians can use to change their own situation.  I hope I'm here long enough to see the situation improve for the people I live and work with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home