Christi



Visa & Discover

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Lifestyles of the Rich and Not So Famous

I've been in Chipata for a week now and I've been living in luxary....hot showers, dvd's, good food, red wine, and Danish beer but it's about to end. I will be moving to M'thumba on Thursday. This will be my home for the next two years and I'm a little anxious right now. I've been told by a couple people that when they are dropped off and the Land Cruiser pulls away, it is a life defining moment. I'm ready for it!

I've spent the last week shopping for everything I think I will need for my hut. I will move in w/out furniture but I hope to get it made w/in the first month at site. The bed might take longer though...some people wait 5 months for their bed :( Not a big deal though, b/c I have a mattress and that's all I really need. Eastern Prov. has 11 new PCV's and it's nearly impossible to post more than 2 people in one day so we just hang out in our little American haven.

Swearing in was a week ago yesterday and it was awesome. I took an oath to defend our country against all enemies foreign and domestic and needless to say it was powerful and made me proud to be an American in Zambia. My whole training class was together for several days and we had a great time and I have a lot of great pics to prove it!

I've been running everyday for the past 4 days and I haven't felt this good in months (although I've had stomach problems for a week). Today is Tuesday and at the Y that means....hills! So I coerced my running partner, Micah, into doing 4 hill repeats this morning up a small mountain that overlooks Chipata! Micah is a climber but she's a great runner and it's been fun. My first solo run in the village will be in honor of Jennie!

I will probably post again in a few weeks and I'm sure I will have many stories about my new house and my new kitten! Take care!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Christi - Just finished reading your latest blog - so good to hear you are enjoying your days in Chipata but I know you are anxious to get posted to your new home. Can't wait to hear all about it. Do you already have your kitten or will you wait to get one after you get settled? It was nice getting to talk with you for a few minutes while I was at your mom's - she is so happy in her new home and is anxious for you to see pictures of it-hopefully that will get done soon.
Love from both of us. Grandma D & Grandpa D

7:32 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Hey Christi,
I can't wait to see your pictures! I got your address yesterday, so I'll send you some mail this week. Good luck as you move in this week, I'll be thinking about you!

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Christi!!!
wow-what an exciting adventure you are on! These updates are unbelieveable-so wonderful to read....nothing new on this end of the world-fall is almost here and you know what that means--jim will be indoors soon on the treadmill! Goodluck on your big move coming up-we'll be thinking of you!!
take care-XXOO Deb and Jim

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christi,
Grandma sent me an e-mail saying you had updated your Blog. As I read through your updates it makes me realize how mundane my life is! As you know banking is not very exciting. I think I would like to try wild boar, run in the mountains, take a shower in a hut,
and throw my laptop, cellphone, and blackberry out the window!
We miss you and are all very proud of what you are doing. Be safe.
Love,
Eric

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christi, This is Rachel's sister, Melissa, back in the U.S. Rachel sent us a picture of you, her & Julie - we were psyched to see her new friends and we are happy you are all together in Eastern. I am a runner & I usually do my hill repeats on Sundays so I just wanted to say keep it up to a fellow runner and of course, I hope things go well as you arrive and settle in at your site!

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christi,

I keep trying to imagine what life would be like where each day brings a totally new experience. I hope you get some time to write down some of your thoughts and impressions in your journal. I just learned that there is a student at the high school in Burnsville who is from Zambia, so I'm going to try to meet him.
Good luck as you move to your new home. Take good care of yourself.
Love,
Cathy

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, Christi, Grandpa and I enjoyed your blog-it's always exciting to hear from you. Is you kitty pretty? Hope Answl makes a good room buddy. Your life sounds so interesting compared to the hum drum life we lead. Yours is different every day. Hope by now your tummy is better. Stay safe, happy and healthy. Love you lots.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home